Consulting Services: Management Intensive Grazing,
Organic Livestock Production, Whole Farm Planning,
Dowsing & Agriculture
A systems thinker with an interest in a 'Whole Farm Approach' to land and livestock stewardship, Lisa has been involved in sustainable, organic and biodynamic agriculture since the late 1980's. Lisa is also a Dowser, Potter and Reiki II practitioner and has been incorporating Reiki, dowsing and biodynamics in her farming and spiritual life for over 25 years.
Lisa studied under Dr. Bill Murphy (Author of 'Greener Pastures On Your Side of the Fence') at the University of Vermont and worked as a grazing consultant for UVM's Pasture Management Outreach Program (PMOP) in the early to mid 90's. During this time, she worked closely with dairy and beef producers on grazing strategies, Holistic Management Planning, seasonal dairying, economics of grass-based livestock systems, and livestock health and nutrition.
She later joined NOFA Vermont's Dairy and Livestock Technical Assistance Program (1996 - 2008), serving the growing number of certified organic livestock operations in Vermont. During her time at NOFA Vermont, Lisa co-authored and coordinated a number of NESARE granted projects that provided opportunities for on-farm research, education, farmer-to-farmer mentoring, and professional development in the areas of livestock health & nutrition, grazing management, soil nutrient management, and farmer case studies.
From 2001- 2014 Lisa worked for the Northeast Organic Dairy Producers Alliance, starting as the NODPA Coordinator, and transitioning to the Editor & Advertising Manager for the 'NODPA News' publication.
She writes regularly and has contributed articles to eOrganic Extension, Graze Magazine, the NODPA Newsletter and Holistic Management International (HMI), and is a grazing consultant/teacher for (HMI) and their Beginning Women Farmer Program.
Today Lisa works as a private consultant, speaker, teacher & writer, offering services in Whole Farm Planning, and Grazing Consulting services for pasture-based dairy & diversified livestock operations. She manages Earthwise Farm & Forest with her husband, Carl Russell, were they raise and sell certified organic, pasture-raised meat & milk, vegetables, flowers, maple syrup, and offer on-farm workshops throughout the year covering topics that include Grazing Management; Having a Family Cow; Cheese, Butter & Yogurt Making; Horse Logging & Forestry; and Spiritual Gardening:Dowsing & Agriculture. With her growing love for pottery combined with a love for teaching, she also offers beginner wheel classes through Third Branch Pottery in Randolph, VT.
Lisa speaks at conferences on many subjects, ski instructs during the winter months, is a Board Member for Rural Vermont, volunteers in local town governance committees, and makes time for her family, personal growth, and creative pursuits.
Speaking/On-Farm Consulting Services:
1) Grazing Fundamentals & Holistic Planned Grazing2) Multi-Species Grazing & Planning Your Pasture Rotation for a Diversified Livestock Farm
3) Advanced Grazing Management: Calculating Dry Matter Intake Needs & Balancing Pasture Forage for the Calendar Year.
4) Having a Family Milk Cow: Care, feeding, livestock health, hand-milking and more.
5) Spiritual Gardening/Farming: Dowsing & Agriculture
6) Cheese, Butter & Yogurt Making - for the Homestead
Resources: Articles, Videos and Worksheets
- Grazing Fundamentals, (2009 - 2012) Vermont Grazing Conference PPT Presentation (4.7 MB, PDF)
- Video: Pasture Record Keeping (Video produced by NOFA-VT, September 3, 2014) - 'Join Lisa McCrory of Earthwise Farm & Forest in Bethel, Vermont as she explains her system for maintaining pasture records on her diversified farm using a modified spreadsheet from Holistic Management International.' Click on this Link
- Caring For Your Organic Cow.doc, Written by Lisa McCrory for eOrganic Dairy, 2009
- Pasture Worksheet: Created by the UVM Pasture Management Outreach Program (1992-1995), this worksheet will help you determine how much pasture acreage you will need for your animals from the beginning of the season to the end.
- Where's Ma Cows Worksheet: Created by the UVM Pasture Management Outreach Program (1992 - 1995), this worksheet will help you keep track of where you animals have grazed. You can easily use this for other livestock as well.
Classes, Conferences or Workshops scheduled for 2017:
1) (Pottery)Beginner Adult Wheel Classes at Third Branch Pottery in Randolph, VT, starting Tuesdays, January 17th from 5-8 pm and Wednesdays, January 18 from 5-8 pm. Details: Taught by Lisa McCrory, the classes run for 6 consecutive weeks and include open studio hours, first bag of clay, firing of all pieces created, and lots of fun! $195/person; $50 deposit required with registration. Contact Stephanie at email@example.com or 802.417.4727
2) Spiritual Gardening: Dowsing & Agriculture - This hands-on workshop, will
incorporate the joys of farming/gardening/animal husbandry with some
tools and ideas
to assist in connecting with the unseen energetic intelligences
(Nature Spirits, Garden Devas, Elementals, Fairies, Gnomes),
creating an environment of
spiritual exploration and co-creation.
- Sunday, March 5th at Earthwise Farm & Forest (11-3) - Go Here for info
- Saturday April 1 at Abington Grown Farm in Abington, CT (10-2). See FB Event link
Contact Lisa by phone (802-234-5524) or email: Lmccrory560@gmail.com